Your home may be your haven, but it can also be your moldy nightmare. Mold is a fungus that can be found both indoors and outdoors. It typically grows in moist environments and can cause health problems in people who are exposed to it.
Mold can be identified by its characteristic fuzzy appearance, and by its musty odor. Mold can form anywhere moisture is present, from the walls to the floors to the ceilings.
Mold can be a difficult problem to identify, but with a little detective work, you can find it in any home. The most obvious sign is when you see the mold itself. Look for spores. Mold needs water and air to grow, so look for black or brown spores on surfaces or in the air.
However, there are other ways to identify it as well.
One way is to look for water damage. If you see water damage, then there’s a good chance that there is also mold present.
Another way to identify mold is by smell. If you smell a musty odor, then there’s a good chance that there is mold present. You can also touch a surface to sense mold presence. If it feels slimy or wet, it’s likely mold.
Finally, you can also look for signs of condensation. If you see condensation on windows or walls, then there’s a good chance that there is mold present.
It’s important to take action if you see signs of mold and to clean it up as soon as possible. Here are some things you should do to get rid of mold in every corner of your house:
Have A Mold Inspection
If you suspect that you have a mold problem, it is important to have a mold inspection done by a professional.
A mold inspection involves taking samples of the mold growth and having them tested in a laboratory. The results of the test will tell you what type of mold you are dealing with and how dangerous it is. If the mold is found to be dangerous, the inspector will recommend steps to take to remove it.
If you are buying or selling a home, it is important to have a mold inspection done before closing on the sale. This is because the seller will want to know if there is any mold in the home and how much of a problem it might be before the sale closes.
Try Cleaning Mold Yourself
There are a few ways to remove mold from a house, and the most effective way depends on the severity of the mold problem.
To start, identify the areas where mold is growing. You may need to remove wallpaper or paneling to get a good look.
If the mold is on a surface that can be wet cleaned (like wood or fabric), use a detergent mixed with water and scrub the area with a brush. The detergent will help break down the mold spores so that they can be cleaned up. Be sure to rinse well and let the surface dry completely before replacing any wallpaper or paneling.
If the mold is on a surface that cannot be wet cleaned (like drywall or concrete), you will need to use a disinfectant like bleach. Bleach is effective at killing mold spores and it will also clean the surface. However, bleach is not safe to use around pets or children.
You should also effectively eliminate all sources of moisture, such as leaking pipes, by sealing any cracks and openings with caulk or insulation. This will ensure that the existing mold does not spread any further since mold thrives in damp and warm conditions.
Another popular technique is to use a vinegar and water mixture. This mixture can also be sprayed or poured on the surface of the mold. The vinegar will kill the mold and also deodorize the area.
There are also many commercial products that can be used to kill mold. These products can be found at most hardware stores or home improvement stores.
Other methods, like vacuuming and scrubbing, may be effective on small amounts of mold, but if the mold is extensive or has developed in difficult-to-access areas, other methods may be required.
A professional may be able to help determine which approach is best for your home and also help you remove it completely.
Prevent Mold From Growing
Mold spores are all around us and they’re impossible to avoid. However, there are some things you can do to minimize the chances of mold growing in your home.
First and foremost, keep your home clean and dry. If there is any water damage, make sure to repair it as quickly as possible.
Also, be sure to use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom to help remove moisture from the air. If you have any leaks or plumbing issues, get them fixed right away.
Finally, keep an eye on your humidity levels and try to keep them below 50%. If you can follow these tips, you can help prevent mold from growing in your home.
How Do Professionals Remove Mold?
Professionals have the equipment and experience to safely remove mold from your home. Removing mold can be a difficult process. It is important to wear the proper safety equipment, including a mask, goggles, and gloves.
The area where the mold is located should be sealed off to prevent the spread of spores. The professionals will then use a variety of methods to remove the mold.
This may include using a vacuum cleaner, scrubbing with a brush, or using chemicals. Most professionals use hydrogen peroxide sprays as a solution.
Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant and can kill mold. It is non-toxic and hence requires caution while using around people and pets.
To remove the mold with hydrogen peroxide yourself, spray the affected area with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, scrub the mold with a brush and rinse with water.
Remember though, because this chemical is highly dangerous, it’s best to let a professional handle it instead of working with it yourself.
Because of the health risks associated with mold and the damage it can cause, it is important to hire professionals to kill mold when it is discovered in your home or business. Professionals have the training and equipment needed to safely remove all traces of mold from your property. They will also take steps to prevent mold from returning in the future.
Bedrock Restoration can help you with mold restoration of your home and commercial spaces. Contact us
now, and witness our magic!