Skip to content

What Types of Water Damage Are Covered by Insurance?

If you’re a homeowner, it’s important to know what types of water damage are covered by insurance. That way, if something happens to your home, you’ll know what to expect when you file a claim. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the different types of water damage that are typically covered by insurance policies. Keep reading for more information!


Most standard home insurance policies cover sudden and internal water damage. This means the water damage must not have touched the outside ground.

What does this mean? It means the water damage must come from accidental tearing, cracking, burning, or bulging of steam, heating, AC, or fire protection systems.

Other instances of water damage covered by homeowners insurance include heavy rain, snowstorm, water from extinguishing a fire, and vandalism. With plumbing problems, insurance will cover burst pipes, overflowing toilets, and sinkholes that cause water damage to your home s structure. But it won t cover gradual leaks.

If you have flood insurance, it will cover water damage from heavy rain, snowmelt, flash flooding, and rising rivers or lakes. Flood insurance is a separate policy from homeowners insurance, so if you want it, you ll need to purchase it through the National Flood Insurance Program or a private insurer.


So although your insurance will cover the water damage from a washing machine overflowing, they won t cover this damage if this was due to an unresolved maintenance issue. In other words, if the damage was caused by a continuous leaking faucet or other regular plumbing issues that you did not repair.

Also, insurance won t cover the cause of the water damage, only the consequences. So, if your washing machine overflowed because you left it on while you went out of town, your insurance company will not reimburse you for the cost of the trip. They will only cover the damage caused by the water.

There are some other types of water damage that are also not covered. These include:

-Flooding: This is typically not covered by homeowners insurance unless you have a separate flood policy.

-Sewer backup: This is usually only covered if it is the result of a clog in the city sewer system and not your personal plumbing.

-Groundwater: This is water that enters your home from the ground up, typically through cracks in the foundation. It is not covered by homeowners insurance.

If you re not sure whether or not your water damage is covered, it s always best to contact your insurance company and ask. They will be able to tell you what is and is not covered under your policy.


Hiring a professional water removal company to tackle your wetness makes sense. Bedrock Restoration offer services that have helped thousands of residential and commercial customers recover from the damages both big or small! :

Contact us today